National Museum of Natural History
After moving with my husband to Washington, DC I worked for 5 months as the School Experiences Coordinator for the National Museum of Natural History. It was amazing opportunity and I learned a lot. My responsibilities included the following:
- Develop inquiry-centered, hands-on science learning experiences for K-12 students in informal learning settings that meet their specific needs for growth and development in science content, and skills
- Develop and evaluate age-appropriate education experiences, including activities, programs, and products, linked to national curriculum standards and classroom curriculum, for K-12 students
- Work with staff from science, research, and collections departments to translate current research into activities and materials for diverse K-12 audiences.
- Establish and maintain supportive relationships and partnerships with K-12 school systems and organizations that serve them
- Prepare and implement communication plans to engage the formal education community in the development and promotion of NMNH programming.
- Oversee the training and work of interns, and contractors for programs, ensuring that all programs are delivered with attention to scientific accuracy and effective instructional techniques.
- Lead strategic planning effort for building a portfolio of projects, programs, and products related to school based audiences and how they are served.
- Write grants and funding packages to support school programs and resources